The Penguins have 10 roster player UFA's coming up (Bill Guerin, Miroslav Satan, Petr Sykora, Ruslan Fedotenko, Craig Adams, Michael Zigomanis, Philippe Boucher, Hal Gill, Rob Scuderi, and Mathieu Garon). Of those nine, I think the following should be let go:
- Sykora- He has shown he has lost a step, and I think his days in the NHL are done. I expect him to sign in the KHL, maybe with the Mettallurg Magnitogorsk who have been rumored to be interested in him.
- Satan- He showed in the playoffs that he can still play, but he is not the goal scorer he once was. He will probably go to the KHL as well.
- Boucher- We have a lot of defensman, and he is very expendable.
- Hal Gill- With Lovejoy and Goligoski becoming NHL ready, and with Gill getting slower by the game I think it is best to let him go.
- Garon- He was decent as the back-up in the 1 1/2 games he played for the Penguins, but I think Curry should be the back-up next season.
- Guerin- Watching him since we won the cup, no doubt he is gonna come back. He is having so much fun, and during the parade there was a 1 more year chant for him. Then while Malkin was talking he said "one more year for Guerin" then he said "no, 2 more years for Billy" and Guerin comes up from behind, taps him on the shoulder and gives him a thumbs up. I think he stays for 2 years/4M. Leaving the Penguins with 7.1M to spend.
- Fedotenko- He showed how good he can be in the playoffs, so I think he should get around a 2 year/4M contract like Guerin leaving the Penguins with 5.1M.
- Zigomanis- His face-off ability is amazing. Great 4th line center to have. Give him around 700K for a year or 2. 4.4M left.
- Adams- He is a great 4th line player. He has grit, defensive ability, and is something every team needs. He should get similar money to Zigomanis, probably around 750K. 3.65M left.
- Scuderi- Showed his value in the playoffs. Great deffensively, 3 years 7.5M total. 1.15 left
- Goligoski*- Amazing offensive talent, but a little weak on defense at times. Deserves a raise, probably around 1.5M. .-.35M left
- Lovejoy- Amazing defensive player, was a +40 or something crazy like that in WBS. Probably deserves 900K for now. -1.25 left.
- Curry- Future back-up for this team, but doesn't deserve much of a raise from what he is making now. Worth 600K. -1.85M left.
That is before free agency, in which I feel the Penguins will need to add a veteran defensman and maybe another player or 2. Free agency moves I would make:
- Trade Pascal Dupuis for draft picks, frees up 1.4M of cap space. -.45 left
- Send Lovejoy to the minors. .45M left
The last thing I think this team should look into is getting another top-6 foreward. The only way they would be able to do that is to trade Jordan Staal, which I would rather them not do unless they get an offer they cannot refuse for a guy like Rick Nash (which there is no chance of that is all).
So the line-up above would be my final roster. Thoughts? What would you do if you were the Penguins?
*Note: I changed Goligoski from 1.1M/year to 1.5M/year because he just signed a 3 year/4.5M total deal. Not much of a difference, but since it was signed today I decided to change it.